Wednesday, May 8, 2013

32 Week Appt Not My Favorite

I had my 32 week appointment yesterday and met another OB that I hadn't met yet, Dr. Mallory. I had heard from someone else prior that he is a little more blunt than the others. I gather now that "blunt" means he doesn't have much of a reassuring approach. He errs on the realistic side (which can be refreshing) but also can easily take the wind out of a prego lady's sails. I can appreciate the realistic side. I think it's probably a good thing to talk about. Yesterday I wasn't prepared to talk about my less than average percent chance of having a successful VBAC. To be honest, I'd really like a VBAC for the opportunity but more than anything I don't want surgery again. It doesn't matter so much to me that the recovery will be faster or easier. Of course that is great but recovery is still hard and not something I particularly want to do again. So because I was completely dilated and pushed for a long time with Owen (at an average 7.5 lbs) with no success it means that it's likely either my hips run on the small side of normal or Owen's head ran on the large side of normal (this we know is true, but we don't know the extend right now because we don't have his head circumference in the file. Dr. Mallory said that at 39 weeks it's basically left up to me whether I want to go forward hoping to go into labor on my own before 40 weeks (or possibly 41? I don't know what the VBAC cut off is yet), or if I want to schedule a C-Section. I read last night that a C-section is more risky after an unsuccessful Trial of Labor but I still want to ask more questions about that. Increased risk of bleeding is one of the risks I guess. I don't want to do anything that will put my baby in danger but I also want to be given the chance to have a VBAC if it's still an option. This time around we already know that my VBAC attempt will be much shorter than my labor with Owen. I'll probably be given 1-2 hours to push (so long as I can get to 10cm) showing significant progress before they would make the call that she wasn't going to descend fully.

My appt yesterday will start a whole new set of questions for my remaining appts. I think I have about 5 left.

Otherwise, I'm feeling good but my legs get tired. I have found that wrapping an ace bandage around my right leg that is suffering from 2 areas with broken blood vessels helps relieve the aching feeling I otherwise constantly have. That has helped me feel like I have much more energy.  Some days I cannot imagine having TWO kids. I need to practice some major zen hypnosis for my stress level on days when Owen decides to scream and will wake up the baby. Those will be tough days.

Owen's getting much more timeout lately. It really helps and we have been working with him to get less frustrated. He is learning that isn't not okay to scream and throw fits when he wants something, and that when he is told 'no,' it means he simply doesn't get it. It doesn't mean throwing a bigger fit because he thinks that will get him what he wants.

On a happier and more exciting note, Amy is getting married on Saturday!!!!! We are all looking forward to a wonderful half week full of family and fun! I can't wait to celebrate Amy and Jonny!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers