Friday, May 28, 2010

Our Snuggle Time

I just thought I'd write an update today. Work has been so terribly busy. For the last 2 1/2 weeks I have been training my replacement. She is my age and is a very fun person to work with. I think she'll transition just fine after 3 months of training. 

Baby has been moving on more of a regular routine lately. He has established a nice sleep/wake schedule. I must say, I do not have a child that seems to be any kind of an acrobat. He's a pretty mellow little guy for the most part. He's always awake at lunch, at mid-afternoon, and in the evening when things are settling down. I can feel him when I lay down in bed but he never keeps me up or wakes me up in the night. I think he sleeps all night long until lunch. If not, he's very quiet.

His movements have become more distinct. They are more "rolling" than "spasms" now. He LOVES, LOVES, LOVES to snuggle up in the right upper quadrant of my torso. You will most likely find him either trying to wedge himself up into my ribcage (which is not comfy and I then have to sit up overly straight to give him room) or you will find him snuggled in the upper right area with his back facing out. When he does this I like to rub his little back to let him know I know he's there. I guess this is our first bonding experience.

We need to decide on a nursary rhyme or song to sing to him for these next couple months. Studies show that a baby can be more easily soothed by the saying or singing of a nursary rhyme or song that was consistently read or sung to them while in tail end of gestation. Isn't that fascinating? We're gonna try it out.

We spent good time last night with our dear friends Jamie and Brian. They were in town from Atlanta, GA where Brian is finishing residency .  They have a 19 month little boy named Asher. They both had great tips for the first 1-12 months of life. It's so helpful to hear perspectives from a variety of people as to what worked and what didn't when developing routines and schedules.

So far I've gained 18 lbs. I feel good and am glad that it has been consistant.  I think that's all for now. We have another midwife appointment early next week and then we'll start seeing her every 2 weeks for a while.

Can't wait to see a few movies this weekend - Babies and Sex and the City II!!

3 comments:

  1. My biggest piece of advice on sleep and schedules, "enjoy your baby when he's little and wants to sleep in your arms. Don't rush trying to get him to sleep on his own and be independent because the books say you should. Time goes by so fast and you really need to enjoy your baby while you can!" I held Liam during naps and to get him to sleep at night for the first 4-5 months of his life. He is a great sleeper now and goes to sleep on his own every night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the seasons, the go round and round
    And the painted ponies go up and down...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, the song I sang was Joni Mitchell's Circle Game, and Amy just quoted it. Oh my, I have to go find a kleenex.
    We're captive on a carousel of time...
    Lanes, you and Ash have stepped towards such joy, wait and see!
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Followers