Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Happy Holidays

Even though it's mid-January, I need to back up all the way to November since that is the last time I posted.  So, Happy Holidays to you! November was rough, but we got through it. December came pretty fast, as Christmas always does. I made Owen a "bean bag" ottoman. It's filled with shredded newspaper instead of foam and that idea is really not working out. So, some day I will need to splurge {with coupon of course} for some foam for the interior. Christmas was good to us all, but I feel like it was good especially to me. I was completely spoiled, getting not only a Cuisinart food processor but also a Kitchenaid mixer, awesome glasses, a super sweet side satchel and dress with tights. We had such a nice Christmas Eve rolling our own sushi {newish tradition} and playing with Owen.

Owen has been talking a ton. More so in the last week, than ever before. He's a great imitator of voice and motion. He loves to "play" the guitar {du-ahh, as he calls it}, push cars and eat! He also loves watching a you tube video of Raffi, the children's musician, sing Baby Beluga. He asks for it by name and absolutely cannot get enough. So much so, that we have to put a limit on it because any tv at all is not supposed to be good for him.

I have been really enjoying cooking blogs lately and have taken {for the last few months} to making a weekly menu to use for dinners. It is so helpful and is a great way to save money and not worry about what to make for dinner. The main goal of this is to eat good and healthy meals with Owen at the table all together as a family. We have been maintaining this almost daily because of the menu planner. We eat a large variety of foods and I've had a lot of fun getting creative with our meals. I am hoping Owen's palate will benefit from this as well. Our kitchen remodel is nearly complete too! Cooking in the new kitchen is the BEST! Our range hood is in and all that is left to do is add some fir ledges and paint the back door.

Winter is finally upon us mid-January. We had around 4 inches of snow in the last few days. School was closed for Ash and so he's been able to enjoy a good 6+ days off with us, including the weekend.  A while back I found a pair of toddler snow pants and finally they are getting put to good use. Owen has enjoyed the snow a lot. We took him sledding at Squalicum Park {where all the kids go} and also pulled him around in a sled throughout the neighborhood streets.

Owen and Sofie have been getting along really well too. Owen has taken fondly to the drill {he asks for it NON STOP day and night. we have even resorted to giving him an old but real drill to play with}, hammer {bang bang} and screwdriver. He has some nails in a piece of scrap wood that he uses to practice on, however, he does get the itch to swing it around Sofie and because of that we have had to be extra careful. Owen thinks it's funny, Sofie does not.  Owen does have amazing precision when hammering on nails, putting pens back into the cap, sticking anything very small into an equally small hole. He has quite the dexterity with fine motor activities.

 not a big Santa fan this year











 new kitchen!

 my gorgeous boys! is it any wonder why owen is so beautiful? um, no!








 look at this trickster

 a good lunch of homemade butternut squash soup


 awesome patagonia capaline suit

1 comment:

  1. Hello Alana! I just found your blog through a comment you made on Pinterest about our kitchen cabinets. It's funny because our cabinets do look similar, though my husband made ours. Your kitchen turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

Followers