So the story of this pregnancy starts like this...
Deciding it was time to start a family, I began by reading a book called, Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. Wow! That book is a wealth of knowledge. Let me recommend it to anyone thinking about wanting or not wanting to become pregnant. I couldn't believe how much I didn't know about these womanly issues! So, Toni prepared me with the tools I needed to pinpoint my ovulation and you can probably say the rest is history. It sure didn't take long after that! Hense, also can be a perfect way to prevent a pregnancy if you are not ready for that gigantic step in life!
On December 7, 2009 mom, Amy and I decided we would meet up at the place where we scattered dad's ashes. This being the anniversary of his passing I felt it appropriate and perfect timing to take my first pregnancy test. I liked the idea of creating a guardian angel for my pregnancy (if it was to be) by joining the day of his passing with the day we first learned we might become parents! Less than 1 minute later, there was the dark line right next to the control line. 2 lines = pregnant! Woohooo!! Ash didn't get to be there when mom and Amy found out, but minutes after I left Anacortes for home, he got a call from both congratulating the soon-to-be dad!
As any parent or parent-to-be knows, the first trimester is a time of heightened nerves and hopes that your little bean will stick! It's guarenteed to be the longest 12 weeks of your life, unless I'm speaking too early and that is to come at the very end when I'm big as a house and wishing I was holding my little babe instead of carrying it around any longer!
Our plan is to use a wonderful midwife in town named Winnie. She is a Licenced Midwife and Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP). In addition to being an LM and ARNP, she's practices homeopathy and well woman gynecological care. She's been practicing since 1976 and specializes in out of hospital births. So where does this mean we plan to have this little baby? Well, the path we're hoping to follow is to the Bellingham Birth Center. http://www.bellinghambirthcenter.com/home.html (if you wanna check it out). This is a wonderful, cozy, safe environment completely dedicated to natural birth. Three suites each contain a couch, bed with fresh linens, a large soaking tub and birthing gadgets, like birth balls, stools, things that hang from the ceiling for support etc. It's a nice place where family can be, outside of the room, while they wait, oh so patiently for the little addition to the family!
If anyone is worried about the absense of drugs available at the Birth Center, rest assured, if I absolutely cannot have the baby without them, a transfer to St. Joeseph's Hospital is less than 5 minutes away. This is not in my plan though. That is why my midwife and potential doula are for!!
Or perhaps you might be wondering about the safety of a midwife or being outside of a hospital for birth! All very realistic and valid questions! Midwives practice and honor a woman's natural instinct to give birth. They are also well-trained to identify any problems before they become emergencies. Typically 90% of those who pursue a birth at the Birth Center do wonderfully! The remaining 10%, although I'm sure they did great and were trying their darndest, are transferred, non-emergently, to the hospital just down the street, usually for some pain relief.
Our first appointment with Winnie is Jan. 21st. We're so excited to hear the heartbeat!
Here's a 4 weeks pregnant pic, no detectable changes of course, and kinda blury, sorry.
Check out those abs! You look great. Craig says I need to ask you how you did it =)
ReplyDeleteYeah, Alana and Ashton! I am very excited for you! I read "Taking Charge" also and I loved it! and btw, the longest 12 weeks will actually be right after your little love is born when you think you will never sleep again. Glad to see you're blogging, it has been a great outlet for me. --Anna
ReplyDelete